Friday, June 18, 2010

Raised Beds

So I had this great idea about building raised beds using pier blocks, 4x4's, and galvanized watering tanks. I figured if I could get them up off the ground far enough to weedwhack under them I could keep the slugs out. But the engineering and construction that would take, plus the cost, discouraged me from taking action. But the other day I stopped at Del's Farm Supply to buy a tank, and discovered a cool thing called a cow bunk. This is a fiberglass (or something) tray about a foot deep, two feet wide, and ten feet long, all on a support of tubing that sets it up about two feet off the ground. Apparently that is where cows like their food to be. The tubes are bent like sled runners, so I can push the thing along on the grass to get it out of the way of the lawn mower. So for less than the cost of my original idea, and none of the trouble, I can wrap the tubes with copper tape to discourage the slugs, push it around where I want it in the field, and not have to bend over so far to weed! Hope to load with dirt and such this weekend and put in lettuce and broccoli. Maybe next payday I'll go get another one. I haven't seen any deer lately, hopefully they don't think this will be a buffet for them!

2 comments:

  1. this sounds great!! love the idea of being able to slide it along on it's own "sled". And the copper tape too - I know this works great to discourage slugs as it gives them a little shock to try to cross it. Does the bunk have holes for drainage? I think the deer may take advantage if they find it. Do you mind saying how much it cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a couple holes, but I'll drill more and probably line the bottom with gravel or crushed rock. With tax, it came to about $150. There is a taller one, called a horse bunk, that would be a perfect height for low crops like lettuce, but it was listed at $199. I can stoop a little for the extra $50! Besides, my little garden scooter will get me at the right height sitting. If critters become a problem I think it would be easy to wrap it with some kind of barrier.

    ReplyDelete