Monday, September 20, 2010

Updates to previous posts

So, I said I'd ripped out the old pea vines - and just let them lay by the raised bed (can we say, lazy enough to let them lay). Yesterday when I went to pick some green beans in another bed, I spotted some green in the old nasty looking pile of the pea vines. Guess what? The green is new peas shooting up! Must have been some pods with old enough seeds inside. Kinda late, but I am going to let them try - never know, might get a pea or two to eat before the freeze.
Also, I had mentioned that my little trees were now safe from deer - wrong!! One must have walked through a very thick planting of several tomatoes and totally munched off one of the paperbark birches. Very wierd though, as nothing else was trampled or eaten. I'm sure I didn't eat it, but it surely is only a thin stick now, about 1 foot tall. The others are ok and I added some twine around the tomatoes to help keep other munchers out.

1 comment:

  1. Fall peas? That would be tasty! Jessica and I chopped mine into the bed, and I know there were plenty of dried out pods. Maybe I'll get some too!
    My sister worked out a way to espalier her tomato plants that is very cool, and she loves the way it makes them easier to harvest, and she doesn't lose so many on the ground. I'll try to post a picture.

    ReplyDelete